Finally watched the 25 Years of Terror documentary today.

I had no idea that H20 was such a clusterf##k behind the scenes. How many masks did they end up using? 6? 7? What a mess. And the original sculpt was terrible.

Now that I know that the resculpt was based of the H6 it’s no wonder I like the H20 2.0 so much.

Based on the H6? I know that the mask used in the scene where Michael kills Marion was (basically) a Halloween 6 mask, but I thought everything else (KNB, Winston, CGI) was all original?

https://forum.michael-myers.net/t/h20-screen-caps-pic-heavy-winston-knb-and-six-more-on-pg2/35396/1

Something I did awhile back :slight_smile:

Man, great job on the play-by-play on the H20 masks!

Let me see if I have all this straight. Filming started with the Winston H6 and from what I heard in the 25YOT Documentary they didn’t like the way the masked looked in the dailys so they had KNB tweak the H6 into 4 different masks. The 4 new masks were all screen tested and eventually used for most of the HERO shots outside of a few where the original Stan Winston H6 was used but covered with a CGI mask because they weren’t able to go back and reshoot. And the original H6 mask actually shows up in the reflection shot with Laurie in town.

WHAT. A. MESS. :rolleyes:

They first filmed with the KNB.
For the opening they used a retooled version of the six.
The Stan Winston for the reshoots.
the mask covered in CGI is a KNB I believe.
:slight_smile:

close.

originally they used a slightly modified h6 mask for the opening sequence, but they didnt like the way it looked and they wanted to ignore part 6 so they had greg nicotero sculpt a mask for theem, the knb mask, wich was used to film the entire film, or most of it. Unfortunatly the mask didnt get good reception so they brought in stan winston to sculpt a mask, that looked more kirky then the previous 2, wich is the most popular and remembered of the h20 masks. That mask was then used to reshoot most scenes with myers, although theres a few scenes that were never reshot where you can plainly see the KNB mask, and in one close up they added a digitally (poorly) altered mask to look like, or resemble the winston, because for whatever reason they couldnt reshoot that scene.

hope this helps

I think I’ve got it now. Thanks for the info!

it really was a clusterf*ck of masks lol

from what I know, they had an h6 mask slightly retooled, id imagine the eyes and eyebrows because ive seen it and from what i saw those stood out as different from your typical h6. I have the workprint that has the knb mask all the way through and I must say its an odd film. IMO that mask has always seemed too much like a DP 'the mask" and makes the character almost seem like a fan in a costume if you get what i mean by that. I love the winston. Another cool fact, the winston H20 was the mask that was used for reference while sculpting the resurrection mask, hence why the unmasking of the severed head as seen in the flashback sequence in resurrection clearly showed the new h8 mask instead of h20. Not a huge issue, but for nit pickers like me it still gets under your skin lol.

I totally understand what you mean about the KNB mask. It had more of a scowl whereas the other Myers masks are for all intents and purposes are emotionless (outside of the 4 which always looks like he’s surprised to me). The retooled H20 feels more like Michael.

"Let me see if I have all this straight. Filming started with the Winston H6 and from what I heard in the 25YOT Documentary they didn’t like the way the masked looked in the dailys so they had KNB tweak the H6 into 4 different masks. The 4 new masks were all screen tested and eventually used for most of the HERO shots outside of a few where the original Stan Winston H6 was used but covered with a CGI mask because they weren’t able to go back and reshoot. And the original H6 mask actually shows up in the reflection shot with Laurie in town.

What they left out of all of this is that the company called me and asked if I would do the role because they weren’t happy with the look of the mask on Chris. My wife answered the call and by the time I got home they had called back to say that after a meeting they decided to rescind the offer because they had too much time invested in the mask and Chris to start over. This is not to demean Chris. That is just how it came down on my end.

I wish you would have been home to answer the call and take the role.That would have been awesome.Would you have considered taking the part at that time?

The amount of stuff I’ve learned about H20 this weekend is amazing and one of the most interesting pieces of information comes down from THE SHAPE himself! :open_mouth:

Here’s my thoughts on that situation. They were in a bind with the mask they were using before all of the experts at mask making got involved. What they really wanted was the mask. Mustaffa had already said that he didn’t me for the role because of my height. If they were sincere in offering me the role, Yes, I would have done it again.

i swear if you had returned as the H20 michael it would have been great…and probably alot creepier than it was.

Edit: Just curious but by that time would the original mask even hold up through another movies shooting?

Seeing that it was the 20th anniversary and we were picking up from II it would have been great and more that fitting to have you back in the mask.

Man, what could have been.

Seeing Mr Warlock’s answer just shows me more of how screwed up they have let this series get.