RZ mask debate

Just curious how many of you would’ve like zombies h1 and h2 better if he would’ve wore the CLEAN mask the WHOLE time over the rotted mask look/hobo. I personally wish he would’ve escaped from the asylum and broke into a Halloween store and stole a clean version and wore it the whole series. Maybe with a bit of blood on it. I don’t think the rotted mask is “Myers”. Michael to me has that signature white mask

Although I don’t care much for the remake, the mask didn’t bother me that much. It actually made sense that it would have rotted after so many years. So realistically, it wasn’t bad.

The masks are the only thing I like about rzh2…I really love the DS mask

The mask is great. It’s certainly the closest mask to the original when it’s brand new, and it looks quite creepy with the wear and tear on it later in the film. I know people threw a fit when they saw how the mask looked in H2, but I like that the mask evolves with Michael. The way the mask is ripped also makes an interesting statement about how fractured Michael’s mind is. At the very least it beats the original sequels where he would show up with a brand new mask.

The rotted look fits with the story/adaptation Rob decided to go with. Once young Michael put on the white mask there is really no other believable way that it could have gone. Aside from the original H1/H2 there is really no continuity to the mask and I think that Rob noticed and addressed that fact quite well in his films. We all got to watch the evolution of Myers as well as the evolution of his mask and it all played out in a believable manor. Keep in mind that if Rob had stuck to the original story line that people would be coming out of the woodwork to knock him for being unoriginal. Also I’m a fan of every version of the mask that shows up in Rob’s films. Thats just my opinion so I respect all others. To each his own

I’ve come to like the rotted mask, but I still would have preferred the clean mask for the entirety of the two movies.

I LOVE the clean mask. It’s easily my favorite Myers mask. It’s just great, I feel like that’s what was originally intended for Michael, a plain white face. It looks like the original mask, but done better. (Not knocking the original mask, I just prefer the all white clean look, no flesh tones, etc.)

It looks really good rotted too. Michael looked awesome in the remake.

I enjoyed how it looked at the beginning of Halloween 2 as well. But I’m not a big fan of how he looked afterwards, with the hobo look. Is it realistic? Well yeah, but it doesn’t say Michael Myers to me at all.

It’s not so much about realism for me, but about how it looks aesthetically. I think it’s a great look that, yes, deviates from the traditional Myers look, but still looks sinister. I’ve said it before, but the hood makes Michael look like a modern day version of the Grim Reaper, and I love it.

So yeah, while it may not be the traditional look, it is still is a great look on its own, and fits Zombie’s film to a T.

That’s just it, I think. It fits Zombie’s film well…but not Halloween. I know we can argue all day that H2 is Zombie’s own style or vision. But honestly, it’s just Zombie’s way of making his own film with the Halloween name.

And people say THIS all the time, but I don’t buy it. No, that’s not true. I don’t CARE about it. This is a separate series with separate expectations in my opinion. I don’t see his films as some sort of slight against the original series, mainly because the original series wasn’t that good to begin with. You say it works for Zombie’s film as if it wouldn’t work with any other Halloween film, which I agree with. The difference is that I don’t see that as a bad thing. I’ve always taken each film on its own terms for the most part, and Zombie’s films are no different. If it works for Zombie’s film in my opinion, it works. Period. No “…but it’s not Halloween.”, no “Zombie ruined Michael’s classic look!”. As long as it works for that film in and of itself, that’s all I need. I don’t feel a need to compare it to a film that it will never live up to, but I appreciate some of you guys trying. Takes the pressure off me. :laughing:

I didn’t compare the look. It’s the story. The first film followed guidelines of the original, so it wasn’t that bad. It was recognizable.

But if the 2nd film were not called “Halloween 2” and did not feature the names Michael Myers, Laurie Strode, Sam Loomis, or Annie Brackett…the film would not be recognizable as a Halloween film. But rather a large, homeless man with extreme rage living off the earth…killing people just because.

But hey, I’m not gonna convince you and I understand that. I’m not TRYING to either. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. I did not care for the remake one single bit when it was released. But after seeing the horrible excuse of a film (my opinion) that was H2, I grew a whole new respect for the 2007 remake. Because at least Rob tried making the movie following the original. That’s what a remake is, re-making the original. Not re-do whatever I want and call it Halloween-make.

So this isn’t a “bash Rob’s Halloween movies” post. This is souly about H2. Because like I said, compared to H2, the 2007 remake seems as good as Godfather.

Which is why I like Zombie’s H2 better than the remake. I didn’t know where the plot was going ahead of time. If you like your Halloween served safe and recognizable, then I can see why you wouldn’t like Zombie’s H2, but I prefer my Halloween films with some personality and some deviations from the same ol’ tired formula. That’s just me.

But if the 2nd film were not called “Halloween 2” and did not feature the names Michael Myers, Laurie Strode, Sam Loomis, or Annie Brackett…the film would not be recognizable as a Halloween film.

Couldn’t you say that about all of the original sequels? I’m sorry, but I’ve never seen this supposed similarity between all the sequels in the original series.

…killing people just because.

So was Michael in the original. Remember, it was the original H2 that came up with the whole family connection.

But hey, I’m not gonna convince you and I understand that. I’m not TRYING to either. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. I did not care for the remake one single bit when it was released. But after seeing the horrible excuse of a film (my opinion) that was H2, I grew a whole new respect for the 2007 remake. Because at least Rob tried making the movie following the original. That’s what a remake is, re-making the original. Not re-do whatever I want and call it Halloween-make.

But Zombie wasn’t remaking the original H2, so your argument is invalid there. He was making a sequel to his film only, and as a sequel to his film, it’s quite good in my opinion. If you honestly hate H2 just because it’s not a remake of the original H2, then I don’t know what to say. Personally I think that’s a rather silly reason not to like the film.

And I hate remakes that simply rehash the original film, but I guess by your logic Psycho '98 is the best remake of them all, because aside from the actors, it’s almost EXACTLY the same film as the original. If you dig that sort of thing, fine, but if I want to watch the original, I’ll watch the original. I don’t need to see someone trying to copy the film beat for beat. That’s why we have crappy knockoffs like He Knows You’re Alone. :stuck_out_tongue:

So this isn’t a “bash Rob’s Halloween movies” post. This is souly about H2. Because like I said, compared to H2, the 2007 remake seems as good as Godfather.

Meh, if you say so. I guess it shouldn’t surprise me how fans react to the films. There are people who think H1 and H2 should go together like one long film too, and that Thorn was God’s gift to the series. I’m running out of opinions to be shocked by when it comes to Halloween.

There’s a lot of quoting going on there, and if I were to quote your quoting, the world may explode…lol.

I’m just gonna say we need to agree to disagree. There are lots of things I could say, but quite frankly, we’re not changing each other’s minds so I don’t feel like wasting our time lol

:drinkers:

Not that we need any more quoting in the thread :laughing: I just wanted to compliment you on knowing when enough is enough. I’ve always been a fan of Rob’s films and I enjoyed the fact that he put his own stamp on H2 but not everyone feels that way and I’ve got no problem with that. Some of the people who dont care for it really go to extremes to hammer in their point so Its respectable when someone chooses to simply state their opinion rather than start a war against those who feel differently.

While I dont think that RZ’s films can even remotely match up to the original H1 and H2, I do consider myself a fan of his movies. As a Halloween fanatic and a general horror fanatic, I had a lot of fun watching his take on the classics. I appreciated the violence and the mask especially…well, the rotted mask to be specific.
I am NOT a fan of the RZ clean mask, but I LOVE the rotted mask from H1 thru H2, including the torn mask by the end of H2.
They just look so ominous and brutal. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

hehe, thanks pal. I’m all for having a good debate. but when you both know you’re not changing each other’s minds, just accept the other person’s POV and move on.

I know what you mean about going to extremes to try to prove someone wrong, but in this case, it’s all about opinion. there is no right and wrong, ya know? who am I to try and take away something that someone enjoys? if you dig the flick, that’s fine with me!

cheers guys :drinkers: