He’s also said he used “Krylon White Spray Paint”.
if its thin coats as oppose to thick saturated coats of spray paint, it wouldn’t crack as easily and probably just rub off
This is also true.
At times like this I wish we had a handy thread of ‘x said’ quotes to refer to.
It’s also hard to tell exactly which products were available in '78, and how they’ve changed in formulation over the years.
I always hear this fear about using spray paint. I’ve used it on several masks with no cracking, flaking, or rubbing off. It’s about using the right technique and application. I’ve never had an issue. If you’ve done it yourself, you’d understand that the “spray paint” theory in no way eliminates the validity of TLW’s claim.
I have masks that I spray painted 20 years ago. And the masks still look fine, and the condition of the latex is fine also. In my experience spray paint seals the mask better than latex paint base, and is a better preservative of latex than latex is. However I see masks that are airbrushed with latex base all the time which have sealing, and pealing issues.
I feel like I can see some blond spots in there.

The Hero’s hair seems to have a lighter patch at the top-front. You can see it in the above photo, and possibly here:

Looks kinda patchy on top, eh?
Suspiciously blond hair sticking up on top, and above the ear:


Matching here:

That one spot seems lighter than the rest of the hair definitely. Right above the masks left eye. Strange how I just noticed it too. I’ve always noticed it in the picture of the mask being held by it’s hair, but never in any other pictures. Strange how this stuff slips past us sometimes
In terms of the paint and what type of spray paint they had access to at the time there is one other thing to remember. The masks weren’t the only things spray painted. Don’t forget about the leaves. John and Debra have stated that since they filmed in the Spring and the leaves were green they would gather a bunch of leaves and spray paint them brown and then rake them up after shots and put them in garbage bags to be reused.
Somebody had to paint all of those leaves. Since leaves aren’t a common material for someone to paint I would assume they at least checked to see what type of paint to use that wouldn’t be too heavy and would look natural. Whether they used cans of spray paint or used an air brushing system, the point is someone had to do a little bit of homework. It would seem possible that while purchasing all of this paint for the leaves they at least checked to see what type of paint to use on the masks or even just used a white version of what was sprayed on the leaves. It does appear some of the masks were touched up throughout filming so anything is possible.
Yep. A trained movie props guy is gonna know about flexible sprays.
Forgot about this one, more blond poking up on the left?

I think that’s the same blonde that sticks out directly up from the proper right eyecut.
Edit: Added picture for clarification.

Ahh. That sneaky bugger likes to hide in most H1 shots. Kinda like the weird ‘tuft of sideburn remnant’ at the top on the other side.
I thought it was a case of blond being revealed by spray wearing off in HII, but much of it is already there in H1, just less obvious.

Misted hair




Digging up this thread to discuss an interesting point that I found.
This is a quote by Kirk Magnum in an old thread:
"Straight from Don Post and Rob Tharp at Don Post Studios…
BK
Went down stairs and asked Rob Tharp how many Myers masks HE made for the movie Halloween II. Rob recalls three Myers masks and two Ben Tramer (light blue with blond hair) masks produced.
Don"
Is it possible that they’re recalling making three masks for Halloween 2, but thinking it was also done for Halloween 1? Just a thought.
Also- I’ve gotten in touch with TLW and he will be commenting on this sometime within this week and next.
Honestly, getting in touch with TLW or JC, just to ask them questions about something that happend 40 years ago, it’s nuts IMO lol. Well will never know for sure, 40 years have passed and peoples memories fade / alter / differ. I cant even remember what I did 40 days ago lol.
Well I guess I’m nuts then haha. We have no idea how vivid any of these memories are to them, so you never know. Anything helps, everything is a piece of the puzzle. So we’ll see what he says! Even if it’s wrong, hearing his account will be awesome.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We’re all nuts when it comes to Halloween / Myers lol. But so far JC says he doesn’t remember at all. TLW has his own version of what happend and what he did, Don and Rob have another version… And after 40 years, it really is hard to remember what the heck was going on within a small made horror movie. At some point we gotta let this go lol.
That’s a great read brother, so ur telling me don post only made the Malone and a few other weird human hair, eye brow having, horrible eye cut replicas in an attempt to gain the rights of the Michael Myers mask??? That sounds about right to me. Don Post couldn’t replicate the hero mask no matter how hard they tried, they knew they used a kirk and wanted some money so they through together something in attempt to show that they made the hero, and failed… TLW did make those masks or convert them or whatever. I believe that 100%..
So not exactly. After their involvement in H2 and the popularity of the first films, they sought to acquire rights to the character. That is the first time anyone from DPS brings up working on anything other than H2. The timing of that alone is very convenient as they only claim the helped on the original film when that is a pillar of gaining rights to a character that would make them big $$$.
The fact that the results produced by DPS and Malone look nothing like the H1 masks in style is just more to the theory that none of the H1 masks look like something they had produced.