HCG Kirk Final Sculpt (For Real This Tiime)

For the past month-ish , I’ve been working on my own mask sculpt . Initially starting out as a standard H1 , then into a Kirk , and now finally back to an H1/H2 sculpt . Sculpted digitally by myself utilizing a 3D scan of the original William Shatner Lifecast , this sculpt has taken a lot longer to perfect than I was initially expecting . It obviously didn’t take nearly as long as traditional sculptures do , but for the time and work that did go into it , I’m rather pleased with the result , especially compared to how it looked in it’s earlier stages .

I do plan on offering both blanks and finished masks from this sculpt , likely in multiple sizes (although that part in particular might have to wait a few months until I can afford a bigger 3D printer .) As for the initial sizing , I’ll have to report on that once I have an actual casting finished , although I’m expecting it to be around 24" , so pretty standard mask size .

In terms of pricing of the aforementioned blanks & completed masks , I haven’t fully worked that out just yet . I think $80-$100 for a blank and $250 for a finished mask would be a decent starting point , although any input would be greatly appreciated .

I’ll be starting on production on the mold tomorrow , once the filament arrives for my printer . Should have it finished by mid-October , and should have the first pulls from the mold by Halloween . I’ll be sure to post updates as they come along .

Here are the renders of the final sculpt that I’ll be printing (final pic has eyecuts highlighted , as they’re not very prominent on the sculpt itself .)

2 Likes

That second picture is money

1 Like

thanks man !

The eyecuts are too big, shrink them down

1 Like


How does this look ?

Not too bad. Eyecuts still too big and the mouth is really wide.

1 Like

If you can get a flat on front shot, I’ll draw them on for you, this will give you an idea at least

1 Like

i didn’t really alter the mouth from the lifecast , it’s probably just the perspective .

On the mask the lips were definitely altered, that was pointed out to me by PH.

The lifecast has very little definition…

While the masks all have a triangular look to the top lip

1 Like

PH Kirk Retool

Big Cat’s Kirk

1 Like

i might have accentuated that specific part actually

after I replied saying that I hadn’t altered the mouth , I remembered that I did do some work on it earlier on in the project , although it didn’t affect the width .

don’t think I sharpened it enough though , I’ll work on that in the morning

1 Like

Me, personally, I would rather Kirk eyes be sculpted in so people could pick how they want their eyecuts. I also like seeing Kirk finishes lol

1 Like

that was my initial plan , but I could never get the Kirk eyes to look right to me .

maybe sometime in the future I’ll retool it to get proper Kirk eyes in him , or maybe just start a new sculpt for that .

1 Like

I think you could do something like DL kirk where it’s not the same level of detail as the original but it has the right eyes shape.

DL kirk looks just like Medley imo.

1 Like

maybe , I’ll have to see how happy I am with the sculpt in the morning lol

1 Like

amazeballs! I could never get the mask to have a smooth but detailed finish. Bravo :3

1 Like


Altered the eyecuts a bit , along with adding more pronounced lips . Also moved the outer edges of the eyes back , since re-sculpting them so many times brought it too far forward & messed up the side profile . I think it looks a lot better .

Also , original lifecast scan for reference . Had to remove a bit of detail in the early stages of sculpting since the scan was too high of a resolution and my pc didn’t like it .

Why does the lifecast look so detailed??

1 Like

It might be just due to how the lifecasts look in person vs Blender (my 3D art program of choice) . When I took that screenshot , I had a particular setting that highlighted the high & low points of the models , which may have made certain details look more pronounced than they really are .

It’s also possible that it’s just that , in person , the lifecasts are typically white plaster/resin which causes the details to get washed out from light , while the scanned lifecast took more of a greyish color due to the viewport settings I used at that particular moment .

1 Like